- 500ml whole milk
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan with the onion, bay leaf and loves. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter and add the plain flour. Stir until a paste forms and continue cooking for two minutes.
- Remove and disard the onion, bay leaf and cloves from teh milk.
- Gradually add the milk to the roux, stirring continually until you get a smooth sauce.
- Keep stirring for 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste.