Orange glazed ham (T.L.)
- Medium to large shoulder ham (bone in)
- 1½ cups (375ml) fresh orange juice
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger (one thumb)
- 12 cloves (for poking into oranges)
- 3 star anise
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 4 oranges, peeled, cut into 5mm slices
- Whole cloves (pick the ones with the longer stems)
- Stir the juices and sugar in a saucepan over a medium- low heat for 2 min. Add the cinnamon stick, ginger and 3 star anise. Simmer for 30 min till lightly thickened. Cool for 1-2 hours. Stir in the soy sauce.
- Use a small sharp knife to remove the rind from the ham leaving about 6-7 cm of the portion closest to the joint.
- Preheat to 180C. Place ham in a roasting tray. Brush ¼ cup of glaze over the ham and bake for 15 min. Remove from oven. 4. Cover the rind covered portion with a piece of aluminium foil to prevent burning.
- Arrange the orange slices, overlapping, on top of the ham. Secure each slice with a clove. Gently brush glaze over the top. Place the star anise on top of oranges. Bake for 1 hour and 15 min, brushing ham with the marinade every 15 min (about 5 times).
- Strain the juice and serve the ham.
(Optional – Add a can of sliced pineapple to the juices and bake in the last 15 min. Serve ham.)